1. A book that has been previously abandoned
– this would have to be The Kindly Ones (GULP)!
2. A re-read. Didn’t quite get it/thought there was more/made promise to self to re-read? Time to make good.
– this is Fringe of Leaves by Patrick White … I am sure that I burned my old copy and the danced joyous jig around the flames.
3. A book that has sat on the shelf, like, forever. (Decades.)
4. A book that paralyses one with dread.
– Easy, Ulysses, James Joyce.
5. Investigate a canonical writer hitherto most shamefully overlooked.
– Kurt Vonnegut. Is he cannonical?
6. Seek out a book by an author who has earned ostracism by being so good that any further novel could surely never measure up…?
– This is terribly subjective. I am going to have to go with Lionel Shriver who I have personally ostracised based solely on the awe inspiring and terrifying We Need To Talk About Kevin, which, by the way, after all these years I still feel as though I really need to talk about!!!
7. And the opposite… That author who was supposed to be really good, but didn’t go down too well? Give him/her another go!
– huh hmmm. This will require some thought.
8. Take a chance. Read a book which you would rather not. For instance when the OH says ‘you’ll really like this’ and you’re thinking ‘no, I really won’t…’
– more thinking required …
9. A book from an unfamiliar genre.
– even more thinking needed …
10. Ask a friend (preferably a person of impeccable taste, and definitely not someone who might have an axe to grind) to choose a book that you will, in their opinion, like. (This does not mean ask a dozen people until you get the right answer!)
– ok, friends, help me out here?
MUST READ BOOKS
To The End of the Land
Beatrice and Virgil
A Short History of Women
My Happiness Bears No Relation to Happiness
The Museum of Innocence
A Gate at the Stairs
- The German Girl, Armando Lucas Correa longingtobe.wordpress.com/2017/02/18/the… https://t.co/MzCheQQMgs 2 months ago
- The Toymaker, Liam Pieper longingtobe.wordpress.com/2016/12/25/the… https://t.co/iKGmkg7XDu 4 months ago
- The Women’s Pages, Debra Adelaide longingtobe.wordpress.com/2016/10/24/the… https://t.co/QNWnXsLfmI 6 months ago
- The Widow, Fiona Barton longingtobe.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/the… 6 months ago
- Nine Days, Toni Jordan longingtobe.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/nin… https://t.co/ucev7TwjXQ 6 months ago
- American Literature Australian Literature belonging Children's Fiction Classic fiction General Literature Historical Fiction Holocaust Literature Inspirational Literature Israeli Literature Jewish Memoir Non fiction Play poetry Prize Winning Literature Russian Literature Short story Teen Fiction Thriller Uncategorized Young Adult Fiction